Friday Updates

Page 40 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Happy Re: Friday Updates

Post by Pepp on Sat 4 Jan 2014 - 2:23

Neither the "how do you turn this on" guy nor the "mrs. nun" girl has invaded Eastern Europe. You know what I mean.

Spoiler:
The Pepp Noble Way to Make and Drink Tea
Pepp's Eye Candy thread
Pepp's First Random Map Script!
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 7:30

This week, we'll talk a bit about the expansion of the religion system in the Quintessence. Nine new civs means an almost unavoidable increase in the number of religions, and indeed, that's going to happen. The Prologue civs, however, are already from varied cultural and religious backgrounds, many of which overlap with some Quintessence civs, so the only religions we feel we have to add to cover all of our civs are Paganism, Lollardy, Hvitakristr, Conciliarism, Hussite Faith and Tengrism. Three of these, namely Lollardy, Hvitakristr and Tengrism, will be available to only a single civ each, and since guessing them isn't that hard, I can confirm that those civs are the English, the Vikings and the Mongols respectively.

All of K&B's religions

If you do wish to play the guessing game though, here's one: Try to match the icons (shown above) to each of the religions. Just to make it easier, here is the complete list of religions that will appear in K&B (in alphabetical order): Armenian Christianity, Catholicism, Conciliarism, Hussite Faith, Hvitakristr, Judaism, Lollardy, Orthodoxism, Paganism, Shia Islam, Sufism, Sunni Islam, Tengrism, Waldensian Faith and Zoroastrianism.

The first one to guess them all correctly will receive an increase in Chivalry and will be officially saluted in the next Friday Update.

Some things in modding are very exciting, others are just catastrophically dull, and one of those things, currently being worked on in style by AOE_Fan, is creating tech icons.

AOE_Fan wrote:Yeah, it's one of those tech names that are hard to depict as icons. I'll try changing it to something else.

K&B salutes... 2014. It's a new year!!!
K&B refutes... January. Having experienced all the loveliness of the festive season, January is best summed up as "Well, back to the day-to-day dullness it is...".

peugeot407

Sola Scriptura. Sola Fide. Sola Gratia. Solus Christus. Soli Deo Gloria.

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

http://twitter.com/rjfaber91

Back to top Go down

Post by super7700 on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 8:45

I just couldn't resist, so here are my guesses, going from left to right:

Catholicism, Sunni Islam, Paganism
Sufism, Orthodoxism, Lollardy
Hvitakristr, Waldensian Faith, Judaism
Zoroastrianism, Shia Islam, Armenian Christianity
Conciliarism, Hussite Faith, Tengrism

I must say you guys did a very good job of creating the icons, as many of those religions don't seem to have had a main symbol.
super7700
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 10:08

In one go!!!

Also, thank you very much.

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by super7700 on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 10:38

Thanks, it looks like I made some lucky guesses! Just wondering, did you base the Lollardy and Concialiarism icons on existing symbols, or did you come up with them yourselves? I thought they were quite clever, as the cross above the clouds looks like it represents the Lollardy 'invisible church' belief, and the four crosses of the Conciliarism icon seem to be referencing the concept of a council being in charge of the Church.
super7700
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 22:48

Those were pretty much the things I had in mind when I created them, yes. There's another thing with the Conciliarism icon though, which is what would happen if you were to add a fifth cross right in the middle...

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alpav on Mon 13 Jan 2014 - 8:55

I've never seen an Orthodox cross like that. Something more suitable would be a cross like this

or this

alpav
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post by Tankred on Sat 18 Jan 2014 - 3:45

yes hes right the used on is the Patriarchal cross

Tankred
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 18 Jan 2014 - 13:14

Oh, the Orthodox church used a lot of symbols. The cross with the third diagonal arm was very common indeed, but the more simple double-armed cross in the icon was used as well, and it does the job of portraying Orthodoxism quite well, as pretty much all other denominations of Christianity solely used single-armed crosses.

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alpav on Mon 20 Jan 2014 - 11:47

I mean if you want, keep it in. It's just not historically accurate as it was the cross given to the Kingdom of Hungary before the Great Schism, and was not used by the Eastern Orthodox Church.
See here.
That cross you put in is used only in Hungary and maybe Slovakia.

alpav
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 7:12

We know a lot of you aren't very enthousiastic about the use of AoE3's Fort models to represent medieval Castles in K&B. Nor are we, to be frank. The elephant in this particular room is of course the very obvious presence of cannons on the Forts' towers, something we've attempted to fix in K&B by retexturing them, but obviously that wasn't much of a solution, and did little to fix the underlying issue. However, we now believe to have fixed it properly:

The new Southern European Castle.

Yes, it's a new model. Its primary feature are the wooden hoardings, cunningly shaped so as to completely hide the cannons from sight, and thus make the Castle look significantly more medieval. However, since we needed a new model, we figured we might as well add some proper parapets to the walls, and for no particular reason we also added the tower/balcony arrangement at the back. Just a note: The textures are still work in progress. The texture of the Castle itself hasn't been altered much since adding the attachment, something we do intend to fix. Oh, and similar setups for the Middle Eastern Castle, as well as the new ones for the Quintessence, are also underway.

In other news, our resident portrait and icon creator Persian_Fusilier has been busy creating new artwork for K&B's mercenaries:

New mercenary icons. Click on the picture to see the larger portrait versions.

Please comment!

This week, in an event utterly unrelated to K&B, Pepp got very angry at (or possibly about) a famous Walloon detective:

Pepp wrote:Poirot! How dare you leave me in this country?!

K&B salutes... super7700, for evidently being very good at linking K&B's religions to their appropriate icons.
K&B refutes... Ukraine's president Viktor Yanukovich. Not content with being a mere puppet of Vladimir Putin, his stubbornness now literally causes the destruction of Kiev...

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by super7700 on Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 8:56

That's brilliant news, it looks much better now! So was the new model just put on top of the old one? Also I love the new icons.

And thanks for mentioning me!

super7700
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 9:11

Yes, the old Castle model is still underneath, which has the added advantage of retaining the building's destruction anims...

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Dragon on Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 13:41

A very clever idea. If it does not destroys the beauty of the castle, may I suggest placing some crossbowmen/archers along the walls.
Golden Dragon
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoop Thrower on Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 15:17

That Farimba certainly looks interesting, the oddest unit in the bunch I'd say, can't wait to hear the history behind it.

As for the Castle, I fear a Crossbowmen wouldn't look good there, it'd most probably stay static and as such look unrealistic.

Modding Councillor
Modding Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp on Sat 25 Jan 2014 - 18:34

History of Farimba: Textured by Pepp around 2012. Based on Mali Empire soldier. Going to be retextured in Chinese New Year.

This is a great year.

Spoiler:
Pepp's Eye Candy thread
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 15 Feb 2014 - 6:09

We haven't had an awful lot of activity since the last Friday Update, nor have we got a lot to show. What we do have is this:

Barbarian infantrymen

Yes, there's been some work on the Barbarians. The Old Guard got a thorough redo, whereas the Gedriht is completely new, the Saxons having been absent from the Prologue. As you can probably see, the Gedriht uses a quintessentially Saxon masked helmet, which is a new model, as is the Old Guard's cloak. The Saxons are a special subciv in that they'll appear both in continental European maps and on those of the British Isles, thus representing both the Anglo-Saxons and "Germano-Saxons". One other subciv has the same thing going on; the Jutes. Altogether, maps of the British Isles are going to be quite interesting in the subcivs they offer, as they have aforementioned Jutes and Saxons, but also Britons and Gaels.

Hold onto your spine, everyone, spangopola asked a question in the team forum:

spangopola wrote:So.. er... when are we uploading Patch #2?

Yeah... Chances are you're either wondering the same thing, or think this is a bit of a dumb question. If you're in the latter category; congratulations, but spango's question does make it clear there's been a potential misunderstanding about Patch 2. We never explicitly mentioned this (sorry about that), but it was released together with the K&B Installer. You can read a previous Friday Update to learn more about the Installer, but the long and short of it is this: Run the K&B Installer and it should automatically install Patch 2 for you.

K&B salutes... The Homs ceasefire. It's not a full solution to the Syria problem in any way, shape or form, but at least civilians can now finally get out of the ruined city.
K&B refutes... the world of Fantasy Fiction. Try Binging for a good reference picture of a Viking battle axe, and you'll know what we're on about.

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hillys on Sat 15 Feb 2014 - 9:23

Lovely textures as always !  thumbs up 
Hillys
Hobilar
Hobilar

Back to top Go down

Post by leon the duque of birigui on Sat 22 Feb 2014 - 23:36

amazing textures ! thumbs up
leon the duque of birigui
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by dietermoreno on Fri 28 Feb 2014 - 16:59

Wow that cape is pretty.  It looks like a different game (Skyrim).
dietermoreno
Enemy of the Realm
Enemy of the Realm

http://youtube.com/dietermoreno

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 6:12

It's not Friday, nor is this a full update, but we have got something new for you:

Click on the picture to see more than just the, er, picture...

Yes, it's the return of the User Friendly Civilisation Outlines. Well, there's one more, anyway. The Spanish have received most of our attention since the release of the Prologue, and they are now close to being finished, so we thought it'd be nice to add its UFCO to the list to mark the occassion. Have a nice read!

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Happy Not Robert's Friday Update

Post by Pepp on Fri 16 May 2014 - 21:39

Your hope to see a poetic and beautiful written Friday Update made by Robert has been stranded forever. Hahaha.  Severe Laughter Yes, you will see a Friday Update full with grammatical errors, pun-fails, and severe laughters. Well, let us go to the point, ehm, ehm. This week, I will show to you some artworks, just a very few artworks, as I myself is too lazy to texture. To be known by folks, they are Mongolian units.

Daylami Javelineer Swordsman

Thanks to a half diligently made civilization outline, with explaining scattered everywhere, I got a wrong message about what is Daylami Swordsman. It was put right next to Skirmisher, so I thought it was a peltast unit, despite its name. That did, too, make me confused, as the name and how it looks are contradicting. But thanks to Matti (well, he helped me many times), now I know that it is really a swordsman. Yeah, a swordsman which acts as a skirmisher. It is unique, eh? Severe Laughter

They who have followed K&B since 2013 or earlier must have known that this one unit has been done before. Yes, it has. Buuuut, it looks like a strawberry porridge with cassava and basil toppings and tamerlane sauce. In short, very bad. I have to say that making this new texture makes my heart feels in peace.

Savaran Lancer

Still a Mongolian unit. This one replaces knight for Mongolian, well, not always. This one is new and I do the texture myself (of course...). Besides, this is my first texture to which Robert and Matti didn't yawn about! Hurrah! Eh, ehm...  Rolling Eyes Its texture is based on a Parthian era cavalry, especially its horse. Well, it was a really hard work, working with multiple layers which are sized smalls and some unprecedented thingies.

Those two units above are the ones you'll get when you choose Ilkhanids as your age up politician, respectively in age II and III. Every politician will offer a unit in age II with something else, and in age III, two units and something else. For Ilkhanids, their age III units are Savaran and Kara Koyunlu. The problem is, I don't know what is Kara Koyunlu (its appearance), as our researcher for Mongols, Thom, is away. But if you have good concept art, let me know it!

I get the annual menstruation cycle of yawn, where I yawned about three things at the same time, making my two supervisors angry.

In the civ outlines, Robert wrote:May I have permission to yawn back?
In the tea lounge, Robert again wrote:ergo, calling him a hypocrite is a bit unfounded...
In the Harmonica Discussion, Matti wrote:...I've been working (forced to work?)...

K&B salutes... Matti. He has helped our mod very much. Don't know why I have to put him here.
K&B refutes... Mrs. Nun. She yawns too much, lazy whore.

Pepp Mrs. Nun 

Spoiler:
Pepp's Eye Candy thread
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt-M- on Mon 19 May 2014 - 9:32

Very pretty! And lovely!
Capt-M-
Hobilar
Hobilar

Back to top Go down

Happy Long Time No Fucking Friday

Post by Pepp on Sat 26 Jul 2014 - 2:56

I actually has no point of what I should serve to you as a late night Friday update, but as we have something to show (at least!!!), we should show it. I fucking know it fucking has been so fucking long time since the fucking last Friday update was fucking updated. So, eh, pardon my fuckings in the sentence before, here we go with Pepp's textures again.

This day, I'll focus on native units, some of which you've met in the facebook page (so I won't post them again). I'll start with my newest texture.

Jews Slinger

Jews in K&B resemble both Ashkenazim and Sephardi Jews. Actually, we have two Jewish natives, the one which is called as Jews, and Khazars (whose religion was Jews). K&B doesn't support Zionism (some members do, actually...), but it is so important to portray this historically important people. Talking about the unit, it actually has Benjamin Netanyahu's face Razz . But low poly units are suck in face texture, it would be great if all units are high poly  Severe Laughter . And, have I told you it is the only slinger we have till the moment?

Fennid

Actually we planned to have Celts as a native, but our historian - Synecdoche - told us that it wasn't correct to call them Celts. Thus, we decided to call them Gaels. Don't think that our Gaels going to have Woadraider (that UU of Celts in AoK). Woad was used by Barbara, yes, but Picts Barbara, not Celts. That is why our Fennid has no tattoos in his body. It is not just a swordsman actually, but also a skirmisher... or just a swordsman?

Khwarezmiyya

Khwarazmian heavy cavalry wasn't called Khwarezmiyya till the fall of the Shah. Only after Samarkand sacked by the Mongols, these heavy cavalries sold themselves as mercenaries, later called by Arabs and Saracens as Khwarezmiyya. If you notice, many of our Muslim or Middle East-related units ended with -iyya. Yes, they are Haruriyya (Quraysh), Arsiyya (Khazars), Tabardariyya (Saracens), and Khwarezmiyya (Khwarazm). Khwarezmiyya acts similar to knights and yeah, is probably my favorite native unit.

This is a quotation story, follow it to get the joke.
Robin van Persie wrote:Both look very lovely indeed... Which bone did you attach the shield to on the Kwarezmiyya?
Dilma Rouseff wrote:No bone.  Very Happy 
Polar Bear wrote:Loving that small shield on Khwarezmiyya. And the new helmet has definitely improved the Fennid.  thumbs up 
Dilma Rouseff wrote:No helmet.  Very Happy 
Robin van Persie wrote:This could turn into a deadly spiral of double entendres...  grinning 

K&B salutes... Jokowi, for being the next Indonesian president. Good God always gives us good leader.
K&B refutes... Middle East secret bunker. Not the one used by ISIS or HAMAS, but the one used to kidnap Robert...

Pepp 

Spoiler:
Pepp's Eye Candy thread
Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 2 Aug 2014 - 5:05

No Friday Update this week, but I can give you a little teaser image of our recent work on HCs:

Chivalry to whoever can guess which civ's HC it is.

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top