AoE3 Strategy Topic

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AoE3 Strategy Topic

Post by iliander on Fri 3 Jun 2011 - 1:00

Hello everybody! Smile I thought it may be nice to have a strategy topic, where you can talk about...

Strategies

Rushing

Rushing is probably the most common strategy you will find among other players. It consists of 3 main purposes:
1. Hurry to Age II
2. Build a Barracks/Stable and some troops
3. Attack the enemy and constantly send more rows of troops

When the rusher fails during his attack, he might be in a lot of problem. Since he didn't focus on training Settlers, he must now quickly train some.

Rushing counters Booming, but fails against Turtling.

Rushing Civs:

- Spanish (Fast-arriving and good military shipments)
- Russians (Infantry is trained in groups, and Blockhouses can be built in Age I)
- Germans (Free Uhlans with most shipments)

Booming

Booming is probably the easiest strategy, the only thing you have to do is constantly train Settlers and build some Mills and maybe even Sheep. But it takes some risks with it, when your enemy is rushing, and you are booming, you will almost certainly get overwhelmed by your opponent's military force.

Booming counters Turtling, but fails against Booming.

Booming Civs:

- British (Manor Houses spawn a free Settler when built)
- Ottomans (Villagers arrive automatically)

Turtling

When you turtle, you are playing defensively, which makes it hard for rushers to attack you early. Surrounding your towns with walls early in the game is a common aspect of turtling. In later ages, turtlers will have double walls and a lot of Fortified Outposts protecting their town. But playing defensively isn't the only aspect of turtling, it also means that you first hide in your turtle shell and resist an attack, then you go and counterattack your enemy while he is weak.

Turtling counters Rushing, but fails against Booming.

Turtling Civs:

- Dutch (Early Skirmishers, defensive gameplay)
- Portuguese (A great number of Town Centers and Minutemen)
- French (3 Forts, a high choice of military units and Coureurs, which are stronger than Settlers)

Feel free to talk about your favorite strategy here. Or even about new strategies you invented yourself. Like Parasitizing, which I invented. The main purpose is too move with your Explorer and some Settlers to your enemy town as soon as possible, then constantly attack his Settlers (With Minutemen?) and steal his arriving resource crates lol. :lol:

iliander
Custom rank: Lord Enki

Back to top Go down

Re: AoE3 Strategy Topic

Post by Nero on Fri 3 Jun 2011 - 10:12

I can't see your strategy working on high difficulties.

I am a turtler by nature, I also have aspects on booming, never rush, never works on people who can think. I also have cav that go around killing small armies and isolated settlers, fav civ is french, german and **Censored**DO NOT use ethnic slurs on this forum**Censored**(for one on one as it is a bit difficult to amass a large, well rounded army) french as they have a great choice in UU and with 3 forts, I feel safe Smile , germans, with constant Ulans, I can work more on my economy and defence, **Censored**DO NOT use ethnic slurs on this forum**Censored** , they are awesome, with a trickle of any resource, samurai and wonders! they rock Very Happy only downside is that their samurai cost a lot for a basic infantry unit.

Nero
Kataphraktos
Kataphraktos

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude on Fri 3 Jun 2011 - 11:01

Japan is a censored word on this forum, don't use it. I myself produce a certain amount of settlers, than just build up my army. You might consider it turtling, but I don't have like complete fortifications around my base.

-Jan III Sobieski upon the victory at Vienna

The Dude
Administrator
Administrator

http://knightsandbarbarians.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxulino on Fri 3 Jun 2011 - 11:13

I like to make fortifications heavely on the middle of map and protect it really well until the enemy is controlled and I can make what I want with him. Thats why I like maps where the middle has many impassable areas.

Maxulino
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Fri 3 Jun 2011 - 11:14

'Japan' is censored? For what reason?

I used to be a boomer, mostly because I used to have a slow economy in the first few ages. Now I've discovered the brilliance of training masses of villagers, that's no longer the case, but I still boom in a sense. I never build Outposts in Age1, but once in Age2 the 4 Outposts card is generally the first I send, so as to have some kind of defense. I always Fast Fortress and thus spend Colonial doing nothing more than gathering resources for the age-up. I never train military units in Age2 either, I always wait till Fortress with that.

Another thing is that I hate hunting. I know Berries and Mills are slower, but I still prefer my villagers to constantly gather from either of those than to constantly have to redirect them to prevent huntables from being driven half the map over.

peugeot407

Sola Scriptura. Sola Fide. Sola Gratia. Solus Christus. Soli Deo Gloria.

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

http://twitter.com/rjfaber91

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude on Fri 3 Jun 2011 - 13:08

Japan isn't censored, the first three letters of Japan is. Wink

The Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp on Fri 3 Jun 2011 - 18:06

I'll always booming in the early game, then suddenly do a turtling when the enemy attacking, then spent all resources for many soldier, make me can't send any military unit card anymore. Razz

When with:
1. German: Use many uhlan, I'll never use the doppelsoldner for attack, they will guard the base camp.
2. Dutch: Use the ruyter, and also some skirmisher.
3. France: With their coureur des bois, only after I send some card. Sometimes I used my money for the expensive cuirassier.
4. British: With redcoat of course!
5. Spain: Some tercio and rodelero, and maybe some jinete if the population cap still far away.
6. Portuguese: Cassador, even if they're too weak to fight against some falconet.
7. Russia: Strelet, the spam unit of the game. Because of 1 reason, they're CHEAP.
8. Ottoman: Janissary, and some abus gun.

1. Aztec: ALL, especially coyote runner, as I start the fight in AGE III. Sometimes, the second choice is jaguar. Hard to reach the skeleton, as my population had been full in the time.
2.Iroquois: I don't remember the name, but only infantry, and mantlet.
3. Sioux: All cavalry, but one day I attack them with infantry only.... s*ck......

1. Nippon (as their international name forbidden Razz ): Ashigaru. In the later day I play TAD, I used the shinobi from Tokugawa, and also samurai. Sometimes I used some naginata and yumi, and at least I use 3-10 yamabushi. And, I will always train all daimyo!
2. Chinese: Chu Ko Nu, then Arquebusier. Later I use the Iron Flail and Meteorites Hammer.
3. India: Sepoy and Gurkha, as the elephant are too expensive and the camels are s*ck....

Spoiler:
The Pepp Noble Way to Make and Drink Tea
Pepp's Eye Candy thread
Pepp's First Random Map Script!

Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Paco the Great on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 3:40

He means the first letter of Jacket, the first letter of Apple and the first letter of Revolver in that order as one word are censored.

With Portuguese the other day I put all my villagers on food and made more every time I got some food and put them on food, so eventually I had massive amounts of villagers. I then put them on different resources, so I had a steady flow of each resource coming in. I then aged up three times quickly, and built the TCs about the same distance from each other. I got some troops from the HC and went and annoyed India, razing a few of their buildings to the ground, then retreated. I used a Missionary (or Priest?) to heal them and reinforced them with some more troops. I sent them back to the Indian colony, and then built some Ca├žadores. I sent them down, and just kept sending more men until the Indians succumbed. Then, i sent them to find the Spanish. Halfway through that attack I revolted into Brazil, and sent the Tupi and Militia down. Oh, I forgot about the Cherokee. They, of course, became Legendary and helped a lot. Soon, the Spanish surrendered. It was a very good game!

Paco the Great
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 9:30

actually about the censored word Japan that is all, now before Dude tells us :FFF:

Nero
Kataphraktos
Kataphraktos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 14:01

And yes, I'm ever never use too much mercenary, except 1 Li'l bombard...

Spoiler:
Pepp's Eye Candy thread

Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 19:50

I don't understand why J A P should be censored and Nippon shouldn't. The former is just an abbreviation of Japan, the latter is an American name for the country that is intended to be offensive...

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by spangopola on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 19:53

How? O.o Nippon is actually the real way how Japan is pronunced (in Japanese and Chinese).

spangopola

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 23:19

it is also Ni Hon (the letters that make up japan, read Ni, Hon, only two letters or kanji (8th grade Japanese to the rescue))

Nero
Kataphraktos
Kataphraktos

Back to top Go down

Post by spangopola on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 0:47

That works...

spangopola

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 3:17

J A P was an ethnic Slur used by Americans during WWII towards Japan, and I spoke with native Japanese, they don't like being called that. Don't use it and back to topic. Admin Warning

The Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 14:46

strategy is important,
I had such a bad game against the ottomans yesterday, I was to embarrassed to talk about it.
I made a couple of mistake. I was playing as the JAPANESE, on a circular asian island map (forgot name), after we both aged up, I was attacked by hussars and explorer, so I made an army consisting of anti cav troops, the monk with club, samurai and musket troops (Japanese musketeer, forgot how to spell the name) He attacked my villagers with artillery, I beat them off, but lost most of my villagers and army, after I got back on my feat, I had some cavalry roaming around causing trouble, while I increased my army and aged up. while my cav were killing off his settlers gather wood, a bit to far away from his colony, he attacked me with falconets and abus guns, I was in trouble, I sent my main army to kill them and after losing a castle and half my troops, I beat them back and decided to pay them back, after a couple of minutes, I depleted my resources to build up a huge army and sent them to attack, I first used my cav to attack a different part of his colony, to draw away his defending force, didn't work. so when my army attacked, e had plenty of artillery to respond with. needless to say. I was disheartened. after some back and forth skirmishes, I was ready to take another shot at destroying him, I had mortars and flaming arrows this time, I killed him, to say the least, his colony was destroyed, but he had relocated while I was destroying him, so he was able to make a defensive force that was to powerful for my remaining army, so I retreated and built up my army once again. I had enough at this point, all cav this time, I crushed him. I won. took way to long while I was constantly on the back foot, I couldn't build up a strong defence as he was destrying them every time, I ran out of wood, a long time ago, so all my wood was bought from shipments and market.

I want some patacas from this post

Nero
Kataphraktos
Kataphraktos

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 16:39

If he kept attacking you, why didn't you move your base to an isolated part of the map? I had a great game on NE that was smiler, but I can't tell you about it. Razz

I want some patacas from this post
You just get coins. :lol:

The Dude
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 19:08

coins are useless, I posted this in wotta and got 42.
P.S. there was no isolated part, the map was small, completely circular, no other islands

Nero
Kataphraktos
Kataphraktos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 20:07

It is must be Borneo. Yet, it is a little bit hard to play at this map, as the map is too small, too few trading route (= less XP), not so good native (Jesuit, Sufi (see below to know how to use it wisely),..?), and less mine (is it?). Your power is that you can build long wall, as there is many wood. Use navy! Gather all sea treasure. Avoid rhino, tiger, and dacoit!

Claim all trading post fast. Attack your enemy earlier, and make sure his explorer death at your town, then imprison him with a wall (I do it thumbs up ). Build as much outpost as you can, and make sure there is fort and factory in your card (Asian see below). Then guard the trading post by some army.

The best navy to use are monitor (as their town center will be not so close to the beach), and if you revolt, send some ironclad. The best strategy is booming-turtle, if you can add some small rush as topping.

To use:
1. Jesuit: Search their tech first, then train some conquistadores
2. Sufi: there is one tech that send you many goat, send it later. The tech that makes your settler better in work but less HP, search it first, then send any card or tech that make them better again.

Best card:
1. Japan: Castle (of course), Tokugawa (enable you yamabushi and shinobi), Heavenly Kami and its friend, cherry orchard card, shrine card, castle card, ikko ikki card
2. China: still in search
3. India: Castle card, elephants card, brahmin card. At least avoid urumi, elephant unit sending card, and anything too expensive.

To avoid hussar: Nero's way is right, but try to train naginata too (at least nearly like hussar). And, in what difficulty you play? Easy/Medium/Hard (I think medium).

Spoiler:
Pepp's Eye Candy thread

Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 20:58

Judging from his story I think Hard or Expert. I've never seen the AI relocate on anything under Hard.

I actually think that booming works perfectly fine on Borneo, provided you have allies. You don't really need many defenses, just put an Outpost or Castle near the TPs as a decoy and the AI will spend some time taking those down, giving you the opportunity to train a defence force. I'm quite surprised you run out of wood though, I never do on Borneo. Choosing the Toshugo Shrine as ageup helps, but I suspect you did that.

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by iliander on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 21:01

I always play on expert. And mostly I gather food until I have 15 Settlers, then gather food until I can age-up. Then gather 250 food and lots of wood to build Manors. Then I have 750 food (500 from Age II) and gather some coin to train 10 Musketeers as a start. Then keep training more Musketeers and Manors. Until you have 30 or 40. Then train more Settlers.

iliander

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 21:04

Oh ya, if you play as Japan:
1. For age 2 up, choose Toshogu Shrine
2. For age 3 up, choose Golden Pavilion
3. For age 4 up, choose Shogunate (if you choose this, make sure there is some Daimyo and Shogun in your card too)
4. For age 5 up, choose Torii

The Great Buddha is useless for me.

About the Borneo: I think worth to make more than 1 TC, and build some unlimited-cheap building near your enemy to make them alike a silly people, give you chance to attack their empty city.

Spoiler:
Pepp's Eye Candy thread

Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Paco the Great on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 21:25

The Chinese cards for that: Castle, 300 Export+cheaper consulate stuff, Boxer Rebellion, Black Cap Prince's Army, Hill Castle, etc. Oh, Walk the Rice Paper, too.

Paco the Great
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepp on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 21:33

And, if you play as:
1. Ottoman: Train as much janissary! Remember the mosque upgrade!
2. German: Send as much card as you can, and get as much free uhlan as you can
3. British: Build as much manor as you can, and train many musketeer
4. French: I am attack my enemy with coureur des boises :laughingalot:

Spoiler:
Pepp's Eye Candy thread

Pepp

Back to top Go down

Post by Paco the Great on Sun 5 Jun 2011 - 22:52

Iroquois: Build loads of Longhouses and get the War Houses card! You need a lot of resources, so at the start put all Villagers on food and get more whenever you get enough food.

Paco the Great
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top